1. Go to http://www.flgov.com/request-a-proclamation/
2. Complete required fields with your personal/organization's information. Under *Date proclamation is needed select “09/18/18”.
3. In the box beneath Proposed language for proclamation* copy and paste the draft proclamation (below) in its entirety.
4. Complete the Verification step and click Submit.
5. Click here to send us an email and let us know you've submitted a proclamation request for FL!
Copy the following text IN FULL and paste into the comment box below Proposed Language for Proclamation*
(TEMPLATE ONLY: PLEASE MODIFY TO YOUR NEEDS)
PENICILLIN ALLERGY DAY IN FLORIDA, September 28, 2018
WHEREAS, penicillin is the most commonly reported drug allergy with 10% of all US patients—30 million Americans, or more than 2 million Floridians—reporting having an allergic reaction to a penicillin-class antibiotic in their past1; and
WHEREAS, penicillin allergy history is often inaccurate, with research showing that 9 out of 10 patients reporting as penicillin allergic—about 27 million Americans, or 1,855,000 Floridians—are not truly allergic to penicillin1; and
WHEREAS, inaccurate diagnosis of penicillin allergy can adversely impact medical costs for both patients and healthcare systems: research shows that antibiotic costs for patients reporting penicillin allergies are up to 63% higher than for those who do not report being penicillin-allergic2; and
WHEREAS, in the hospital setting, history of penicillin allergy translates to about 10% more hospital days, 30% higher incidence of VRE infections, 23% higher incidence of C difficile infections, and 14% higher incidence of MRSA infections2; and
WHEREAS, these adverse events occur because penicillin “allergic” patients are given more broad spectrum antibiotics2, which contributes to the public health problem of antibiotic resistance3; and
WHEREAS, National Penicillin Allergy Day is being organized to raise awareness of false penicillin allergy and encourage the de-labeling of patients erroneously labeled penicillin-allergic by promoting penicillin allergy skin testing;
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Rick Scott, Governor of the State of Florida, do hereby extend greetings and best wishes to all observing September 28, 2018, as Penicillin Allergy Day in Florida.
- Joint Task Force on Practice Parameters representing the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology; American College of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology; Joint Council of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. Drug allergy: an updated practice parameter. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2010 Oct;105(4):259-273
- Macy, E. M., & Contreras, R. (2014). Healthcare Utilization and Serious Infection Prevalence Associated With Penicillin “Allergy” In Hospitalized Patients: A Cohort Study. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology,133(2). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2013.09.021
- Dellit, TH, Owens, RC, McGowan JE, Jr et al. Infectious Disease Society of America and the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America Guidelines for Developing Institutional Programs to Enhance Antimicrobial Stewardship. Clin Infect Dis. 2007;44-150-77.